Duterte not intrigued by following big-time runners — De Lima
Following the occurrences of medication carrying in the nation, especially that of the P11-billion shabu that purportedly
slipped past the Bureau of Customs (BOC) as of late, kept Senator Leila de Lima on Saturday asserted it just demonstrates
that President Rodrigo Duterte isn’t generally intrigued by following big-time runners and medication rulers.
“In the two years that billions of pesos worth of shabu was snuck into the nation, one thing is clear. Duterte isn’t keen on
pursuing the medication master bootleggers, or the Customs and other government authorities who conceal their job or ineptitude
in the carrying,” de Lima said in an announcement.
De Lima bemoaned the killings of suspected little time tranquilize pushers and clients, while the administration keeps on having a
“flat reaction” to the sneaking of shabu worth billions of pesos.
“Initially, there is a forswearing, and after that a whitewash,” she said.
De Lima likewise got out Duterte for clearing the authorities required of duty and neglecting to lead a test into the system of medication syndicates.
Issue over agency
“Instead, he is the first to clear anyone of responsibility and frustrate any serious investigation on this network of drug lords,
drug smugglers, and Customs officials that all point to a very influential person as the alleged leader of the so-called Davao Group,” de Lima said.
Duterte earlier this week appointed BOC Commissioner Isidro Lapeña as the new Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA)
director general amid the issues surrounding his agency.
De Lima cited the claim of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) that the smuggled shabu that was supposedly
contained in magnetic lifters have already found their way into the streets.
The senator also cited reports where Customs Deputy Collector Lourdes Mangaoang claimed that Customs officials
could have detected any illegal shipment hidden inside the hollow magnetic lifters if not for incompetence or deliberate omission.
“Despite these confirmations, the BOC and Malacañang, including Duterte himself, continue to deny the existence of this shipment,” the senator said.
“In the meantime, no official investigation as to who are responsible for this latest billion-peso shabu smuggling is
ordered by Duterte. No Customs official is investigated or fired,” De Lima said.
Contrary to De Lima’s comment however, Duterte has fired the deputy commissioners of the BOC amid the issue.
Duterte said he was also “freezing” the department heads of the bureau as the new commissioner, former
Armed Forces chief of staff Rey Guerrero, takes over.
De Lima claimed that Duterte’s drug war is clearly just part of the cover-up of large-scale drug operations
controlled by drug lords and their government protectors.
“What is [c]lear is that Duterte is just letting shabu smuggled into the country find its way into our streets,
to be sold by small-time drug pushers and addicts who are in turn marked for summary execution by the PNP and its death squads,” she said.
Integrity of competence
“This is the real Philippine Narco-State that Duterte has built for himself, and for which he alone is responsible as the President who made it all possible,” de Lima added.
Malacañang on Friday vouched for the integrity and competence of Lapeña and said drug syndicates and
corrupt Customs officials and employees are behind the accusation against the outgoing BOC commissioner.
Last October 20, Duterte also warned drug importers anew not to destroy the country and its young people, or else face consequences.
“Don’t underestimate me. I already warned you. Kamong mga importers ana, yayariin ko talaga kayo,” Duterte said
during the inauguration of Gaisano Grand Citygate Mall in Davao City on Friday.
Since he assumed office in 2016, Duterte has been warning drug users, sellers and drug lords to stop operating their i
llegal business, threatening that their lives are in danger.