DOJ bids dismissal of Trillanes capture bid before of Makati judge
The Department of Justice (DOJ) has formally asked a Makati trial court judge to partially reconsider a
decision denying its request to have Senator Antonio Trillanes IV arrested for a previously dismissed coup d’etat case.
State prosecutors filed a motion for partial reconsideration before Judge Andres Soriano at 4:30 p.m. Thursday,
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said Friday.
Soriano, the presiding judge of the Makati Regional Trial Court Branch 148, will hear the motion on October 30, Guevarra told reporters.
Guevarra earlier said the DOJ will only contest Soriano’s factual findings: that Trillanes applied for amnesty and
admitted his guilt for his participation in the 2003 Oakwood Mutiny, among others, contradicting the basis of the
presidential proclamation that revoked the senator’s amnesty.
While Soriano refused to order Trillanes’ arrest on account of the “final” dismissal of the coup d’etat case in 2011,
he recognized the legality of Proclamation No. 572, the Duterte directive that declared the administration critic’s amnesty void from the beginning.
Soriano’s decision, seen as generally positive to Trillanes, conflicts with that of his individual Makati judge, Elmo Alameda, who requested the congressperson captured a month ago for an also rejected disobedience case.
Presently out on safeguard, Trillanes is challenging Alameda’s decision. Alameda has requested the recording of important pleadings previously he leads on the representative’s movement for reevaluation.
Legal counselors say that Soriano and Alameda’s clashing discoveries may in the end must be settled by the Supreme Court, or, in other words with an appeal to attacking the defendability of Proclamation No. 572.