The controversy of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) has been reverse after a passenger
it to Zamboanga. The airport chief, however, has no such modus-operandi.
A suspected member of Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) was killed in a firefight with government troops in Patikul,
Sulu on Saturday night, the military said.
Brig. Gen. Divino Rey Pabayo, commander of Joint Task Force Sulu, said members of the 32nd Infantry Battalion
killed an allege member of the terror group at 6:20 pm. after clashing with the ASG earlier in the day.
Several improvise explosive devices (IEDs) and personal belongings were recover by authorities.
“We are thankful for the information give by the local populace every time the bandits come to the
area,” Pabayo said.
“This only shows that the people are fed up of the menace brought by the ASG and because they want to
move forward towards peace and development in their locality.”
Lt. Gen. Arnel Dela Vega, commander of Western Mindanao, said they have been conducting intensified
operations against ASG.
Planting of bullets
“tanim-bala” extortion scheme,which involves the planting of bullets in passengers’ luggage, will not be tolerate
under the Duterte administration, Special Assistant to the President (SAP) Christopher “Bong” Go said Saturday.
Go made this remark following a report that passenger Kristine Bumanglag-Moran recently with a bullet in her luggage on Friday afternoon.
Bumanglag-Moran posted about her experience on a Facebook status and it has since then gone viral.
“We reiterate – the Duterte Administration will never tolerate this modus operandi,” Go said in a statement noting that the Office of the President has ordered concerned agencies to address the concern within 24 hours.
“We are expecting them to comply or face the consequences,” he added.
Go also warned extortionists that President Rodrigo R. Duterte himself said he would let them “eat” the bullets if it happens again.
“Sinabi na ng Pangulong Duterte noon, na pag nangyari pa ito, ipapakain niya yung bala sa taong gumawa (President Duterte previously said that if this happens again, he will let the persons responsible eat the bullets) and I assure everyone, he will really do it,” Go said.
MIAA to check complaint
Hence Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA), for its part, assured that it would have the Office for Transportation Security (OTS) check on the veracity of the claim as a matter of procedure,
Nevertheless Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) shall assist the OTS by conducting a parallel probe to bring out the truth to the claim. We shall coordinate with the passenger directly for the result of investigations,” MIAA said in a statement Saturday.
Besides we assure the public that ‘tanim-bala’ is a thing of the past Passengers find to have bullets or bullet-like items in their bags are now allow to take their flight after proper logging of the incident. Prohibit items like bullets or ammunition whether as amulets or for any purpose are subject for confiscation,” MIAA’s statement add.
MIAA reminded the public that finding bullets or bullet-like items was not “unusual” in NAIA noting that records show that some passengers still carry these items in their bags claiming that they serve as amulets.