For several years now, Davao is been in the forefront as the only city in the country implementing strict total ban on using firecrackers. True to its reasons, Christmas and New Year is been celebrated with zero casualty due to the use of dangerous “holiday noise each year.
Mayor Inday Sara Duterte has tried a little reverse psychology this time to persuade Dabawenyos to continue not to use firecrackers in celebrating the yuletide season.
“Sa mga Dabawenyo, kung gusto ninyong masunugan ng bahay at maputulan ng kamay, go ahead — gumamit kayo ng firecrackers ngayong pasko at sa New Year,” the mayor said on Tuesday.
Davao City has a city ordinance which was passed in 2002 which banning the use or even transporting firecrackers in the entire city. Anyone caught violating the firecracker ordinance will be fined P1,000 or imprisonment of not more than one month but not less than 20 days for the first offense.
For the second offense, a violator is fined P3 , 000 and or imprisonment of not more than three months but not less than a month; while third-time offenders are fined P5 , 000 and or imprisonment of not more than six months but not less than three months.
The mayor reminded the public of the existing firecracker ban in the city.
“We have seen for several years now in Davao City that we can celebrate Christmas and New Year without any casualty from the firecracker because of the ban,” she said.
Mayor Inday said the ban on firecrackers was really aimed at protecting the public. She said through its implementation, no reported fire incidents due to fire crackers and stray bullet injuries had been reported in the city for years now.
“These reasons are enough for us Dabawenyos to ensure that there will be no firecrackers in the entire city,” she said.